Categories: Canada

Number of active extortion investigations in Surrey jumps to 26 – BC


Surrey police say the number of extortion cases they’re investigating has nearly tripled since the start of June.

The Surrey Police Service (SPS) launched its own dedicated counter-extortion team in early June.

At the time, the SPS had 10 extortion files on the docket from this year; since then, the number has climbed to 26.

SPS Sgt. Tige Pollock said the number doesn’t represent a “spike,” adding that some of the reports are for incidents that may not have happened recently.

But he said it does suggest that victims are getting more comfortable talking to police.




Crime Stoppers taking tips from extortion victims


“There was a public forum that was held by some community members, the province has provided some money to Crime Stoppers for an extortion tip line, as well as Surrey Police Service has rolled out its own extortion investigation team,” he said.

Story continues below advertisement

“I think these factors help in the public feeling comfortable coming forward, and when they understand that police are taking this seriously, then they feel comfortable to report.”

Get breaking National news

For news impacting Canada and around the world, sign up for breaking news alerts delivered directly to you when they happen.

Shootings and other violent incidents linked — or suspected of links — to extortion have rattled the Lower Mainland, and particularly the South Asian business community.




RCMP reveal few details about arrests made in Surrey extortion investigation


In June, an Abbotsford man with no known criminal ties was gunned down in his Surrey office, further stoking fears.

Earlier this month, RCMP announced it had arrested two Surrey residents in connection with firearms, arson and extortion-related offences, but no one has been charged.

That has drawn frustration from some in the community who point to the arrest and charge of multiple people in Alberta and Ontario communities also plagued by extortionists.

Story continues below advertisement

In Edmonton, police held a town hall on Monday night, warning of a second wave of extortion cases and calling it a resurgence.

Interim Chief of police Warren Driechel said the attacks in Edmonton had stopped after several suspects were arrested in 2024 in connection to about 40 extortions and arsons targeting affluent South Asian homebuilders and business owners.




B.C. government launches extortion awareness campaign


But since May, he said six more similar cases have been reported, leading investigators to believe the attacks are back and that there may be more victims.

The RCMP formed the National Coordination and Support Team (NCST) last year, with the goal of supporting extortion investigations across the country.

Supt Adam MacIntosh, officer in charge of the NCST, said it is critical that victims report all extortion attempts to police, and that above all, they don’t pay.

Story continues below advertisement

“The fact that they (the extortions) are continuing supports that people are paying, and the reason for that is because the organized crime groups involved are making money, and they wouldn’t be making money and it wouldn’t be continuing if it wasn’t lucrative,” he said.

“It’s a scary position to be in as an individual, as a member of a family, to be facing threats. But we need people to understand that they need to overcome that fear and report to us what’s occurring.

— with files from the Canadian Press


&copy 2025 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.



Source link

admin2

Share
Published by
admin2

Recent Posts

Halton police seize ‘historic’ number of firearms in largest bust

Descrease article font size Increase article font size Police in Halton Region say they’ve made…

1 hour ago

Indexing Industry Revenues Hit Record $7.2bn as ETFs Power Growth in 2025

Competitive dynamics shifting across indexing, says Burton-Taylor consultancy Revenues earned by index providers reached a…

2 hours ago

Flight to Argentina: How significant is it for Israel’s LatAm outreach? | Politics News

Israel and Argentina have launched a direct flight starting in November as the two countries…

3 hours ago

Casino en ligne Julius guide complet pour jouer au casino online.1930

Casino en ligne Julius – guide complet pour jouer au casino online JOUER Содержимое Les…

3 hours ago

Shakira acquitted by Spanish court in tax fraud case – National

A Spanish court acquitted Shakira in a tax fraud case, ordering the government to return…

4 hours ago

Flu briefings given to Ontario health minister hidden in transparency clampdown

Briefings on flu, RSV and COVID-19 rates prepared for Ontario’s minister of health during the…

7 hours ago