Warning: This story contains sensitive and graphic content that may be disturbing to some readers who have experienced sexual violence. Discretion is advised.
A well-known Montreal civil lawyer has been denied bail after facing multiple criminal charges, including child luring and sexual assault.
Daniel Rochefort, 72, was refused release Friday following a bail hearing at which he testified, along with another person supporting of his release. A publication ban covers the evidence and arguments presented in court.
Rochefort was first arrested by Montreal police on May 7 and charged the following day with child luring and making child sexual abuse material.
Montreal police handout
Police allege he communicated online with an undercover investigator posing as a 12-year-old girl while attempting to commit a sexual offence.
During a second court appearance on May 11, Rochefort learned he was facing nine additional charges. The most serious allegation claims he sexually assaulted a minor between 2007 and 2012. Some of the alleged offences are said to have taken place in Montreal, while others allegedly occurred in a foreign country.
Get daily Canada news delivered to your inbox so you’ll never miss the day’s top stories.
Rochefort showed little reaction in court as Quebec Court Judge Andrée Perrault ruled he would remain detained, citing the Crown’s evidence and concerns he posed a danger to the public.
Crown prosecutor Marissa Maria Kazadellis said the evidence presented was sufficient to justify detention, though she could not discuss specifics due to the publication ban.
Police say there may be additional potential victims and are asking anyone with information to come forward.
Rochefort is described as a white man, five feet, eight inches tall and weighing about 77 kg, with white hair and blue eyes. Police say his appearance has changed over time and have released two photos to aid identification.
Anyone who believes they may have been a victim, or who has information, is urged to contact police or reach out anonymously through Info-Crime Montréal.
A trial date has not yet been set.
Support is available for people who have been sexually assaulted. You can access crisis lines and local support services. Visit the Department of Justice’s Victim Services Directory for a list of resources in your area.
Trusted Editorial content, reviewed by leading industry experts and seasoned editors. Ad Disclosure South Korean…
By The Canadian Press The Canadian Press Posted May 22, 2026 11:08 pm 1 min…
The yield on the 10-year note finished May 22, 2026 at 4.56% while the 2-year…
Islamabad, Pakistan – Earlier this month, as Indian television channels and government leaders were celebrating…
The guy spends their huge knowledge of a to guarantee the birth from outstanding blogs…
Descrease article font size Increase article font size Three men died on Thursday in a…