Categories: Canada

Canada and allies condemn Israeli settlement expansion amid West Bank tensions – National


Canada and several allied nations are calling on Israel to halt settlement expansion in the occupied West Bank as tensions in the territory continue to escalate amid demolitions, deadly shootings and growing international scrutiny.

In a joint statement released Friday alongside Australia, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway and the United Kingdom, Canada warned that Israeli settlement expansion and settler violence are undermining stability and prospects for a two-state solution.

The statement specifically condemned proposed development in the controversial E1 area east of Jerusalem, saying the project would “divide the West Bank in two” and constitute “a serious breach of international law.”

According to the International Court of Justice, Israeli settlements in the West Bank are widely considered illegal under international law.

Get daily National news

Get daily Canada news delivered to your inbox so you’ll never miss the day’s top stories.

The warning comes as Israeli bulldozers this week demolished dozens of Palestinian-owned shops southeast of Jerusalem to clear land for a road project tied to nearby settlements.

Story continues below advertisement

Israeli authorities said the demolitions were needed to construct infrastructure serving Palestinian communities.

But Palestinian officials said the road is part of a broader strategy aimed at rerouting Palestinian traffic away from a new highway being developed for Israeli settlements in the area.

Violence in the West Bank has also intensified in recent days.

Earlier this week, Palestinian health officials said a 32-year-old Palestinian man died after being shot by Israeli soldiers while attempting to cross the barrier into Israel for work.


It marked the second such killing in less than a week involving Palestinians trying to enter Israel for employment.

Meanwhile, Israeli Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich recently ordered the eviction of a Palestinian village in the West Bank, further straining tensions in the region.

In their joint statement, the countries called on Israel to stop expanding settlements, investigate allegations involving Israeli forces, ensure accountability for settler violence and lift financial restrictions on the Palestinian Authority.

The countries also warned businesses against participating in settlement construction projects, citing potential legal and reputational risks.

“We reaffirm our unwavering commitment to a comprehensive, just and lasting peace based on a negotiated two-state solution,” the statement said.

Story continues below advertisement

With files from The Associated Press

&copy 2026 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.



Source link

admin2

Share
Published by
admin2

Recent Posts

Why Central Banks Are Trading Dollars for Gold

In a Sprott Precious Metals report, Sprott Managing Partner and Market Strategist Paul Wong, noted…

2 hours ago

Tens of thousands rally in Serbia for antigovernment demonstrations | Protests News

The student-led movement, which began after the Novi Sad rail station disaster in November 2024,…

2 hours ago

Stablecoin Regulation: FDIC Announces New Proposed AML Rules For Issuers

Trusted Editorial content, reviewed by leading industry experts and seasoned editors. Ad Disclosure As crypto…

3 hours ago

Iran and US signal some progress in talks as Trump weighs striking again – National

Iran on Saturday signaled “narrowing differences” in negotiations with the U.S. after Pakistan’s army chief held more…

5 hours ago

Is the Whole Better than the Parts?

Every Basis Point Matters The table below lays out the numbers. Owning VTI and VXUS…

7 hours ago

Rising global costs threaten Mexico’s production costs and food stability | Inflation

Monterrey, Mexico – At the Mercado de Abastos, a wholesale food market in Nuevo Leon, Mexico,…

7 hours ago