Categories: World

Board of Peace envoy warns ‘permanent’ Gaza divide under current status quo | Gaza News


UN Security Council urged to press for Israeli obligations and Hamas disarmament under Gaza ‘ceasefire’ roadmap.

The high representative overseeing the United States-founded Board of Peace for Gaza, Nickolay Mladenov, has warned that the deteriorating status quo in the devastated Palestinian enclave risks becoming “permanent”.

Speaking on Thursday to the United Nations Security Council (UNSC), Mladenov presented a roadmap detailing obligations for Israel and Hamas to implement a permanent ceasefire. He urged the UNSC to use “every means at its disposal” to press Hamas to disarm, while also saying that Israel must uphold its commitment under a ceasefire agreed in October.

Recommended Stories

list of 3 itemsend of list

“Let me say this clearly: the implementation cannot advance through Palestinian obligations alone,” Mladenov said, speaking via video call.

“The continued killings and Israeli restrictions affecting humanitarian flows are not abstract issues,” he said.

The war that Israel launched following the October 7, 2023 attacks on southern Israel by Hamas and other armed Palestinian groups was halted by a ceasefire in October 2025. More than 72,775 Palestinians have been killed in the conflict. But the Israeli military maintains a strict security regime, and many hundreds more have been killed in the past seven months. On Thursday, an Israeli drone attack killed a 26-year-old in Gaza’s al-Mahatta area, east of Deir el-Balah city, according to Wafa news agency.

Conflict monitors warn that since the ceasefire in the US-Israel war on Iran was struck last month, Israeli bombardment of Gaza has accelerated. Violent raids by settlers and the military in the occupied West Bank have also been increasing.

Mladenov, a veteran Bulgarian diplomat, warned of the risks of inaction by both parties.

“The risk is that the deteriorating status quo becomes permanent: a divided Gaza, Hamas holding military and administrative control over two million people across less than half the territory.

“Those people are likely to remain trapped in the rubble, dependent on aid with no meaningful reconstruction, because reconstruction financing will not follow where weapons have not been laid down,” Mladenov said.

“And the result? Another generation growing up in tents in fear, with despair as the most rational thing for them to feel.”

This, he said, is a scenario that Israelis, Palestinians and the region “should all fear and mobilise to avoid”.

In January, the US announced that the Gaza “ceasefire” was moving to phase two, which is supposed to focus on Hamas’s disarmament, long-term governance and the establishment of a panel of Palestinian technocrats to lead post-war Gaza. It also calls for the gradual retreat of the Israeli army, which still controls more than 50 percent of the Palestinian territory, and the deployment of an international stabilising force.

But with the war in Iran drawing the world’s attention amid a global energy crisis, the transition to the second phase has been stalled for weeks.



Source link

admin2

Share
Published by
admin2

Recent Posts

Kyle Busch, 2-time NASCAR racing champion, dead at 41 – National

By Steve Reed The Associated Press Posted May 21, 2026 6:14 pm 1 min read…

43 minutes ago

Volatility Is a Feature, Not a Bug

Why digital-asset volatility is the price of admission to asymmetric returns and why it should…

60 minutes ago

Ethereum Recent Bearish Breakdown Signals Growing Advantage For Sellers

Trusted Editorial content, reviewed by leading industry experts and seasoned editors. Ad Disclosure While the…

1 hour ago

Nova Scotia Opposition says wait for mammograms shouldn’t be more than a year – Halifax

Nova Scotia’s official Opposition is taking the province to task over lengthy delays for mammograms,…

4 hours ago

The Sprott Rare Earths Ex-China ETF (REXC)

VettaFi’s Head of Research Todd Rosenbluth discussed the Sprott Rare Earths Ex-China ETF (REXC) on…

6 hours ago

‘Lingering shock from tragedy’ weeks after Minab school bombing | US-Israel war on Iran

NewsFeedResidents of Minab are calling for justice weeks after US missiles killed at least 156…

6 hours ago